Making a Claim on Your Property Policy

June 2, 2016
Show all
When a covered peril causes damage to your property, you will need to file a claim with your insurance company. You should contact your agent or a Public Adjuster right away. Remember there are rules you must follow per your policy.

  1. If you have theft or vandalism, report it to the police and get a report.
  2. You have a time limit to file your claim. Find out what that is.
  3. You need to protect your property from further damage. The carrier will compensate you for this.
  4. Don’t mitigate or throw away any damaged property until an adjuster has appraised the loss. (Take lots of photos!)
  5. If your home is not livable and you need to make alternate living arrangements, keep all of your receipts.
  6. Cooperate with the adjuster as he gathers information.

Once you and your insurance company agree on the terms of your settlement, state laws require prompt payment. Public Adjusters understand the business and are familiar with the insurance company tactics so they can work quickly to expedite payments. A Public Adjuster can make an enormous difference in the amount of a policyholder’s settlement.

As a licensed Public Adjuster, I welcome the opportunity to help you with your property claim. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *